Wednesday 30 May 2018

Rollin into the Okanagan

After a long day from Sunshine Valley into Princeton, I was looking to slow my pace down a bit. My legs and mental fortitude had been feeling fatigued most of the day so I scoped out some free camping at a rec site, picked up a few beer and set up camp.
The next morning I woke up at about 6 am, took a trip into the bushes and promptly decided to take a rest day of sorts. Hopped right back ibto bed until about 8:30, took a leisurely brekkie and then rolled back into Princeton to pick up some groceries.
Finally hit the road around 11 am and took a nice, pleasant, flat ride down the Similkameen River. Man, it never got above 20 degrees today but holy cow was it ever DRY. I drank about as much water in the easy 70 km day as I normally would doing 100+ kms in +26. All without a single drop of sweat forming on my brow. The air was just sucking the water from me.
Anyways. Took an extended lunch break in the town of Hedley, where I copped a cinnamon bun and sausage roll from the general store (both were pretty dece) and loaded up on water at the park next door.
Only clocked in another 35 km or so after that and rolled into a campground outside Keremeos around 3:30 pm.
Seeing as I was there so early, I did some maint work on the bike I had been putting off, ate a big dinner, took my first shower in 4 days, then walked around looking at plants untik the mosquitoes forced me into my tent for the night.
Looking ahead, I made the mistake of plotting my route through BC into google maps and learned that I have over 500 km to go, with 5500m of total uphill. Aaaaaaaaa.

Post-dinner beer and a short hike for the scenic backdrop
Drying some of the more odorous bits after a quick wash in the river

1 comment:

  1. Looks like goid days again. I like how you ate rockin' the pink shades. Thanks for the stories. Miss you. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...