Thursday 8 October 2020

Kootenay Lakes day 2: easy rolling

Everything was nice and quiet in the campground at Kaslo and I woke up bright(ish) and early at about 7 am as it started to get light out.
I made my customary oatmeal and coffee and began packing up. Weirdly enough, no condensation on the rain fly, despite it feeling very humid. Maybe it never got cold enough? It was certainly warm enough that I was able to start in short sleeves at 8 am.
I knew that there were some hills to get over jn the first part of the day and sure enough, I was grinding up as soon as I got back onto the highway, seeing multiple 12% gradients in the first 10 km. A slight tailwind helped out now and then though.
My old nemesis, the logging truck driver, was out and about and the narrow highway, often missing a shoulder, kept me on my toes.
A little into the morning I had to make an emergency u-turn as I went by a sign that said "Free Apples. U Pick". Sure enough, there were apples. I didn't even debate the extra weight and tossed three into my front pannier.
The first half of the morning passed by as a series of rolling steep hills until I got to Lardeaux, at the head of Kootenay Lake. From there on I was following a gentle river valley up into the hills. Finally, the mythical flat and straight road. After 10 or so kilometers along nice valley views the road surface transitioned to gravel, but what nice gravel! Super smooth, well packed and hardly any traffic aside from periodic gravel trucks.
For the last half of the day, the road took me through gorgeous cedar forests along a crystal clear river. Eagles would often alight as I passed and fly on next to me for a ways. No big hills and excellent road condition had me eating up the kilometers.
As I passed through some construction where they were grading the surface, the sign guy at one end held out a can as I approached.
Could it be a beer? Is this day that good?
As I got closer the logo on the can became obvious: A&W.
I wasn't too into the soda so I waved him off and thanked him and then carried on.
Now, I had crushed 80 km and reached my preferred stopping point at the south end of Trout Lake. However, it was only 1:30 pm and I had to debate going on further.
On the other hand, the next 30 km to Trout Lake (the community) were going to be narrow, with logging trucks and steep gravel hills. I was also unsure of what the camping options were like.
Then, as I contemplated pros and cons, a headwind started blowing off the lake.
Mind made up, I turned into the small rec site and parked my bike at the vacant site not only right next to the bear hang, but also with a stack of already split wood.
Since I was there so early I had a snack then practices hanging my food, took a hike to some nearby waterfalls, did some planning for the next week, stared solemnly out across the lake, had a small fire, ate dinner and finally called it a night at 7:30. By which time it was already dark.
Not too worried about furry visitors as I have my food hanging, had a campfire, and have some friendly neighbours a few sites over in a camper.
Todays weather: overcast, with maybe 6 individual raindrops hitting me. All tailwinds. About +13°C.
Tomorrow its a slightly longer day to try and reach a rec site at a hotspring (!) about 100 km away. If I survive the first 30 km to Trout Lake though it should be an easy ride and I will even get back onto the pavement at some point.
As usual, fingers crossed.

Yay, no more scurvy.

Alone in the woods.

Lots of waterfalls in the Kootenays.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Den!! I've picked apples at that same place near Kaslo...lol

    ReplyDelete

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...