Monday 5 October 2020

Kootenay Lakes day 1: easy start

Hot on the heels of my KVR trip, I had my sights set on another bike tour. I had never been up the west end of Kootenay Lake or been down through Nakusp on the other side. Since I was already in southern BC and had at least one more week of warm weather predicted I figured why not go check it out.
My car-park host from warmshowers for the KVR had a friend in Balfour, which was the perfect starting point. Although I had some last minute trepidation about the trip when realizing how little camping options there would be day two and how many uphill meters there would be, I told myself "well the worst you can feel is to wonder how it may have been" and set off for Balfour.
I took a short stop in Nelson for a new book amd a beer, then drove the car out to Tom's place on the lakeside. I once again had my panniers ready to go, so a short chat later I loaded up and biked off around 2 pm.
I had already called ahead to the Kaslo municipal campground and received confirmation that they would be open so that was my destination for the night. 
The ride was only 33 km but had almost 600m of elevation gain along a narrow, winding road by the lake. As is typical of narrow roads in BC I had a few close calls with bloodthirsty logging trucks but the rest of the ride was pretty nice. The pavement was nice and smooth and it seemed like there would be lots of places to get water over the next few days, as creeks were common along the way.
Eventually rolled into Kaslo around 4 pm and was pleasantly surprised with how quiet and cozy the town was. 
Secured my campsite for the night, took a shower and since I am going to be out in the wilderness for the next two days, checked out the local brewery and splurged on a super greasy pulled pork and fries for dinner. 
The other campground guests seem nice and quiet so I am anticipating a very cozy sleep tonight and then an early morning tomorrow. 
There's a rec site at 85 km that would make a good target, especially because the next camping (aside from hiding in the woods) would be almost another 90 km past that. There are apparently a lot of bears up the valley too... 
Oh well, problems for tomorrow.
Easy bottle fills. Crystal clear and pours itself into your bottles!

Whitehorse vibes from the local sternwheeleer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...