Saturday 3 October 2020

KVR day 4: KVR Komplete

The morning I woke up in Osooyoos things seemed to be pretty swell. 
It was warm. Definitely a lot nicer than the freezing mornings of the highlands. 
It was also dry, which meant that my tent didn't have any condensation on it.
I used the dried fruit I got at a gas station in Rock Creek to really jazz up my oatmeal and took a leisurely breakfast, since I only had about 70 km to get back to my car in Penticton.
Heading out around 9 am, it was just warm enough that I could get away with short sleeves.
I was however pretty hungry, even post-oatmeal so I made a side trip into a fruit stand for an apple and plum to snack on.
Shortly after I was able to ditch the highway and got back onto the KVR heading north. It was actually a very nicely maintained gravel trail in this area so despite a slight headwind, I was really scooting.
The trail wound along a flood control can for about 20 easy kilometers, with good views of passing farmlands and vineyards. There was even a paved section, although it was actually lumpier than the gravel path 
Eventually though, all good things come to an end and I popped back out onto a mandatory 15 km stretch of highway.
Unfortunately the slight headwind gathered its strength as I came alongside Vaseux Lake. Around this time the effect of multiple 100 km long days in the heat also began to hit my legs and I could feel the wall coming on hard. I grit my teeth and slowly ground along the very slow 15 km to Okanagan Falls.
Reaching town I ws hurting for some energy so I stopped into a coffee shop for some caffeine and a nice thick date square. Properly rejuvenated I set out to tackle the last 20 km of the KVR.
Again, I was pleasantly surprised to see the trail in good condition, although it did get quite narrow and the skirt of poison ivy flanking the trail made passing a little more dangerous.
The coffee and date square managed to keep me pumped until Penticton and I made it back to the car by 1 pm. I promptly changed into different shoes and a clean(ish) shirt, unloaded the bike and set off in search of a brewery for a reward beer.
KVR done!

Wowwww its even paved?

Well, sometimes its paved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...