Sunday 3 June 2018

Mountains Beyond Mountains

Waking up in Christina Lake I still felt a bit unsure of my strength. I made some oatmeal and loaded it with dried fruit. A stop off at the small, local bakery for a nanaimo bar rounded out my preparations for mountain #1.
As I started out, was still feeling stiff in the legs, and I stopped at the bottom of the climb to have a snack and strip down to minimal layers, as the sun came out.
Once I revisited the climb, I found I was actually stretching into great form. The lower slopes were very gradual and I had a breath of tailwind tickling my back. I actually enjoyed climbing the lower slopes surprisingly and let out the legs for a few hard efforts. Towards the top, the gradient kicked up and I started to feel it in my knees, so I toned it down until the peak.
Took a quick lunch next to an apparently very hungry raven, who kept hopping right on up to my side trying to cajole food from me.
Then it was turnoff time to peak #2 of the day on my way into Rossland. I feel like a lot of cyclists skip Rossland and Trail after coming over Paulson because they are intimidated by the big sign at the turnoff that says "Strawberry Summit - 1575 m - Expect Weather Changes".
Their loss! Since I was already at about 1200 m, it was an easy climb and then all downhill into Rossland. And what a ride! Beautiful scenery and there were so many amazing waterfalls and wide vistas.
When I rolled into Rossland, I got into touch with Vic and Caroline, my hosts for the night. I was in luck, and Vic took me for a tour to the coffee shop and left me to my own devices for a bit before bringing me to a potluck dinner for the local trail building group. I got to absolutely load up on delicacies oft denied to bike tourists, such as salads, freshly bbq-ed chicken and two kegs of beer. I even won a brand new, clean tshirt in a drawing. Overall excellent stay in Rossland and super glad I made the trip.
Only one more major pass and it's a softie at only 1300 m.


One of many gorgeous waterfalls on the way to Rossland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...