Tuesday 12 June 2018

Well timed rest days

Following my pickup and delivery into Calgary, I got settled into my aunt's home in Bowness, where my dad was staying for a short visit.
My cousin Kristal took me on the Bowness tour and we dropped into the local patisserie to purchase 50$ worth of pastry for the family dinner that evening.
Quick shower, quick trip to CostCo and then it was off to my sister's house for dinner and to meet my nephew.
Between dinner, pastries, beer and post-dinner munchie mix, I did an admirable job of refilling the calories from my big day the day before.
The next day brought a morning of steady rain and +8. Perfect timing for a rest day!
I mostly spent the day cruising around town with my dad, shopping for new shorts and a new bike saddle. My old shorts have been crotchless for about 1200 km, and the old saddle that came stock on the bike was just not cut out for cross Canada comfort. Another dinner with the sister, brother-in-law and nephew closed off a quiet day.
On Monday, I still had some last minute things to do and I decided to reach out to a girl I knew about hanging out for the day. My dad however, was due to drive Trudy the Travel Trailer north for my Aunt Zenna, so after going out for breakfast, he took off north and left me to my own devices.
Not long after, Gem picked me up and we took a road trip out to Canmore to hike Mt. Rundle. What a perf day for a hike too. It was super windy and a bit chilly, especially at the summit where there was a liberal dusting of snow and icicles. However, the sun made a number of appearances and we got to watch a ton of gnarly storms sweep past us without a drop of rain falling on us (little bit of driving snow though).
We shared a bag of wine gums at the summit (last of my snack reserves) and then scooted on over to Banff for dinner. Killed two awesome pizzas at some pizza place I can't remember the name of. Late return to Calgary meant I didn't get any pre-departure chores done but the stellar day was more than worth putting them aside for the next morning.

Almost regretted leaving the winter coat in the Yukon
Panorama from the peak

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...