Sunday 26 August 2018

Tired nights and Mosquito Bites

Woke up around the normal time, albiet on Atlantic time. Feeling a bit tired, took some extra time with my morning coffee and sat around a bit.
I planned a slightly longer day past Shediac, but with numerous bailout points inbetween I wasn't too worried about making it too hard on myself.
Headed back over to Highway 11 and followed it until the shoulder narrowed and the traffic got on my nerves. I tried out a side highway but soon discovered it was filled with an incredible number of potholes, cracks and bumps. My poor bike.
After lunch I cut back and forth between Highway 11 and the side highways. The wind was up again today, and more often in my face than not. Still, I made Shediac by 3:30, did some shopping, took my pictutes of the giant lobster, and grabbed some ice cream. While walking over to a shady area to enjoy my ice cream I was engaged in conversation by a woman sitting on the porch. Ended up eating the entire cone while chatting before I had to break away before it got too late.
I pushed on another 20 km to do a full day of 135 km. The campground I had chosen seemed quiet and well reviewed. As I pulled in at 5:30, the owners, Betty and her husband (Mike???) greeted me, and Betty offered me a free spot for the night. As I tried to wave it off, telling her I'm not riding for charity, she assured me it was fine, as her son was also a dedicated traveller and she felt the need to mother other travellers. She even set me up with a lawn chair and encouraged me to check out the beach. Score.
After a shower, I walked on the beach to dry off and had a dinner of wild blueberry-yogurt parfait and mushroom instant rice. The setting sun left me a little time for reading before I called it a day.
I did have to ask some kids (ie: teenagers) to stop playing in the field immediately next to my tent so I could sleep. I'm officially an old man.
On to PEI tomorrow for a few days. I have 6 days before I need to get to Halifax, and it will only take me 4 to get there. Need to find one more little detour after PEI I think...
I was woken up by the urgings of my bladder and the soft drizzle of rain across my tent fly.
As I crawled back into my sleeping bag I wasn't too worried, as the rain was light. When I woke up shortly after to sunrise and harder showers, I began to plan for a wet day.
Luckily, the rain cleared as I sipped coffee and spooned oatmeal from my blue, plastic mug. I said my goodbyes to the campground hosts, and headed out onto the slightly wet highways.
Winding my way through a backcountry highway, I drained my snack supplies at lunch, shortly before reaching the Confederation Bridge. Not being allowed to cycle on the Bridge itself, I waited 45 minutes for the shuttle bus, buying myself an ice cream cone and doing battle with the cloud of mosquitoes that popped up as a result of the rain and marshy shores of southern New Brunswick.
Zooming across to PEI, the morning's last clouds cleared and I cycled through pleasant, quiet farmlands to Summerside.
During the final approach and while on my customary end of day grocery trip,  I was feeling super tired. Still feeling some effects of the one month stretch between rest days. Only 5 days left though, may as well tough er out. I made a last minute campground change when I noticed the provincial park was about 2$ cheaper and 2 km closer.
Since I am on PEI, I made a dinner of (instant) potatoes before doing some laundry and small chores. Putting off the remaining planning for the last week through Nova Scotia and Halifax, I escaped the mosquitoes into my tent.
Another night of poor sleep. Maybe I should stop drinking coffee as I cook dinner.
Feeling really tired again today but the schedule only calls for a leisurely tour of the island, so I may be okay.
I left the campground around 9 am, minus a few pints of blood. Seriously, the mosquitoes are unbelievable in the Maritimes right now. On par with rural Saskatchewan in June.
Leaving the campground, I caught onto a southerly wind. While this helped me north to Cavendish, some 50 km away, I saw it as a bad sign, as the lion's share of my ride (70 km) would be heading south.
I soon discovered that PEI is anything but flat and relaxed. I spent the day climbing a series of rolling ridges and short hills.
Still, I got into Cavendish a bit earlier than expected and had a coffee and protein bar lunch. I went to check out the Anne of Green Gables attractions but was disappointed to see most of the area occupied by tacky tourist shops and amusement parks. I passed on the Green Gables heritage site, as it was under construction and required paid entry. Not worth it for a few photos.
Heading south into the 40 km/hr headwind, I worked my way up some more hills towards Charlottetown. After some interesting driver experiences and a scary near miss (more in a side story) I headed into the brewery.
Nice interior, good beer, and I relaxed a bit after a hard day.
Then it was back to the slog for another 40 km to the campground.
Heading along the Trans Canada out of town, I was coming up on a bridge when I heard a familiat flub flub sound from my rear tire.
My heart sank.
Sure enough, there was a sturdy roofing nail firmly entrenched in my inner tube. Fueled by frustration and a desire to just get the day over with, I executed probably my fastest tube change to date. My thumbs were iron wedges of anger, winching the tire back onto the rim in no time. Some quick grocery shopping, then a long, slow ride.
After setting up camp, I was too tired to do much else than eat, shower, and ignore the mounting list of shit that needs doing. Oh well, heading into Nova Scotia tomorrow and maybe I can do a half day and curtail my side trio plans in order to get some things done before I get to Halifax.
Flying out to Calgary in a week and having mixed feelings. At this point, I'm exhausted and just plain tired of bicycle touring. I want to cook real meals and bake and make beer.
But I still want to keep moving. To see something new each day and try new food and beer.
Still, it will good to go home and begin digesting the experiences from the four longest months of my life.
But tomorrow, Nova Scotia. One day at a time.

Not pictured: mosquitoes
The shuttle to PEI, no bikes allowed!
The work IS the fun though >:(
Mending flats in all the wrong places

1 comment:

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...