Sunday 13 May 2018

Life along the Skeena pt. 1

The Alaska ferry rolled into Prince Rupert on the 11th, and I was amazed to see it was actually sunny.
After leaving the ferry, and then immediately going back for the water bottle and bike lock I left onboard, I did some quick grocery (ie. donut) shopping and left town. I only went about 30 km out of town to Prudhomme Lake and spent the night at the Provincial Park.
The next day, I got up and descended down to the Skeena River. It was a gorgeous day, with most of the road being totally flat and wind-free, not to mention the gorgeous scenery and abundant flowers.
About 20 km from Terrace, the road moved away from the river, which turned out to be unfortunate, as the temperature promptly rose to +20 and the road went up a series of hills.
After struggling into town, I was aimlessly cycling around when I ran into Sherry and Murray, who were out for a bike ride. After a quick chat, they invited me for a free beer, which I obviously accepted. Over beers, they invited me to stay the night at their amazing property 11 km north of town. They even cooked me dinner and let me take a shower. Words honestly cannot express the gratitude I feel towards this amazing couple for opening their home to a complete stranger the way they did. It was definitely the highlight of the trip so far, amd made the 145 km bike ride to Terrace worth it.
Unfortunately I now have to go back to the coast to catch a ferry to Van Isle. Unfortunately it is also +25 today so I might perish enroute. Fingers crossed!

Trying not to die in Terrace heat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...