Tuesday 29 May 2018

Side Story: The Hill from Hell/Hope

I've heard the stories. It's featured prominently in almost every cross Canada cycling blog. It's the first test of your desire and resolve to hump a 70 pound bike over the Rockies.
Rising to an undetermined height (if there was an elevation sign at the top I was too busy sweating into my eye to notice), 9 kilometers long, constant 7% gradient, no flat sections, no downhills.
I averaged 10 km/hr and probably lost about 2 pounds of water weight sweating it up that monster.
It was hot. It was long. It was actually not that bad.
I luckily had a tailwind up it but the gradient never really got up into the double digits so it wasn't horribly difficult, it just took forever. I feel bad for the teo older guys, Ray and Leon who I met at the top. They did it on recumbent bikes and left Hope at 9 am. I left Hope at 3 pm and beat them up...
And speaking to the local resort owners on the other side of the hill, its one of the worst ones I'll have to manage between here and the prairies.
Bring on the Mountains, you'll have to throw more than that at me to keep me from the Atlantic. 💪

Hill: 0 Legs: 2
Should have done this trip in 1960, the hill would have been 55m shorter

1 comment:

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...