Tuesday 29 May 2018

The Cascades

Looking at the calendar, it's been exactly three weeks since I left Whitehorse. Crazy, it feels like months. And there's still so much Canada left...
After some monday grocery shopping in Hope, I set out for the mountains and the Crowsnest Pass Highway.
After climbing up out of the Fraser Valley, I rolled into Sunshine Valley. Wanting to save some money after the expensive Island and Greater Van area, I was keen on looking for free camping.
However, a quick inquiry at the resort revealed that tent camping was only 10$ for the night. And that included access to the pool and hot tubs. Seeing as it was already 5 pm, I was convinced.
The next morning I woke up to a chilly mountain morning and set out to roll down the other side of the hills.
Jokes on me it was uphill for the next 2 1/2 hours to Allison Pass (elevation 1342 meters). That means that I did almost 1500 meters of climbing in the 3 1/2 of pedalling from Hope to Allison Pass! Not bad. Rolled into Manning Park Resort with the appetite bred by hours of sweaty climbing and decided to spring for lunch at the resort. So much for saving money I guess.
After the pass there was a pretty mighty downhill. I made some excellent kilometers while hardly turning a pedal. Until I hit the next big hill...
I am now convinced that the BC road engineers take perverse delight in plotting every highway up the tallest available hill. This hits home particularly hard when you look 500m down into the valley and see the logging and mining roads meandering along perfectly flat river terraces.

All this and a tent site (with water and power!!!) at Sunshine Vallet Resort for only 10$
Well guarded on my lunch break between Hope and Princeton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...