Saturday 26 May 2018

Victoria and Vancouver; Confusion and Traffic

While I was still on Saltspring, I was in contact with a Warmshowers host couple who lived down in southern Victoria. With a place to stay, I decided to do the 35 or so kilometers down for the night.
After departing the ferry terminal, I was immediately directed by signage to one of the famous bike paths of Victoria I had heard so much about.
It seemed like I could follow it all the way south to my host. Theoretically, I could have, but I took a wrong turn 3 km in and ended up way out west, having to basically wing it with Google Earth and my own poor understanding of Victoria to find my way down.
Eventually, I made it, and my hosts for the night dropped me off downtown, where I made trips to all you can eat sushi, MEC, and a decent little bar.
After some light brekkie, I headed out early the next morning, biking along the very nice bike path system to the Mile Zero monument, a pilgrimage for all Cross Canada cycle tourists. I dragged my bike down and over some driftwood to dip my tires in the ocean and began taking a nice scenic ride up to the ferry terminal.
On the ferry, I actually met a girl (on tinder actually, lmao) who was on the same boat. While chatting, she offered to drive me out a ways on her way to pick up a transmission part. I obviously accepted, and got to skip like 35 km of busy Vancouver driving. Right where I was dropped off, I happened to walk into a Trek Bicycle dealer that was holding a grand opening event, where I copped some free snacks and won a free pair of sweet red cycling socks that match my bike.
Then it was a harrowing trek along super busy highways and crowded-in gas stations and strip malls to Maple Ridge. It was late but the best bet for free camping seemed to be about 15 km away in Goldenears Park. I was quickly dissuaded from doing some secretive backcountry camping when I passed a bear that seemed to be very interested and not at all afraid of me. Paid for some expensive camping and told the park attendants how much BC parks suck compared to the Yukon. The girls in the campsite over read me a kids novel called Gangster Gramma and then I caught up on some blogging and hit the hay.
Aside: so much doesn't make it into these blog posts. This post was hyuge and it barely scraped the surface of the last 24 hrs! So many little things and details that get missed.
P. S. Thanks Steve and Melissa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...