Saturday 26 May 2018

The Walls of Saltspring

Following a few super restful days with Bernard and Sue, I headed south out of Parksville. Another scorcher of a day in the saddle but I finally learned how to take it easy and took some winding, quiet backroads. The highlight of the day was definitely my visit to Riot Brewing in Chemainus. The beer was about average, but the tap girl (Angela) was an absolute treat, and super cute and friendly.
After grinding up some hills to Ganges, I settled into a campground just outside town.
The next day, I woke up and passed on cooking breakfast to sample the local bakery. Ended up having a smorgasbord of baking and spent a bit too much probably. After a bried wander and some casual planning, I set out for the brewery on the island. It was back up the mega wall of a hill outside Ganges, and then I spent the rest of the day wrestling with the mega hills younger but still formidable brothers. Not gonna lie, Saltspring is a rough island to ride a bicycle. Every time you turn a corner there's some other god-awful steep hill staring you down. I only did about 30 km of riding, but it wiped me out more than 120 km from Whitehorse into the Coast Mountains did.
Anyways, took a very European lunch of apples, fresh goat cheese, and beer and then caught the ferry down to Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...