Monday 21 May 2018

The South Island(s)

Rolling into Campbell River a few days ago and it was like crawling out of the bush after years. The logging roads and clearcuts suddenly started giving way to coffee shops, hobby farms, and pottery shops.
I camped a night in Campbell River itself and saw some of my first raindrops of the trip. The next day, I decided to take the 10$ ferry over to investigate Quadra Island. I rolled off the ferry and immediately ran into a farmers market and cafe. After spinning around the 8 km loop of the island, which has an amazing amount of hills crammed into it, I picked up a few beers and headed over to Rebecca Spit Park.
Beautiful spot, and I saw a group of people doing the beer on the grass thing, so I invited myself over. This turned out to be a great idea. Ended up drinking through my beer and playing some solid volleyball.
As it got later, decided to camp at the (expensive) campground and hang out with my new buds. Drank way too much beer and hung out around some fires until I ran out of stamina and had to cash it out.
The next day I crushed out a long day from Quadra to my Uncle Denny's place in Parksville; 130 km.
After enjoying the luxury of showers, laundry and dinner we woke up and took a day trip to Denman Island.
Will probably spend one more day in Parksville planning and resting and then do a trip to Saltspring and Victoria.

The Enchanted Forest of Quadra Island
Enjoying the views enroute to Denman Island

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...