Wednesday 29 August 2018

New Brunswick Review

Considered doing a joint review for New Brunswick and PEI, since I spent so little time in either place, but after doing a loop of the island, decided I had some unique thoughts and would do two short reviews.
Well, that being said, here's how I felt about New Brunswick:

Time spent in New Brunswick: 4 days
Distance pedalled: ~415 km
Lobsters consumed: zero! I'll have to do it in Nova Scotia
Beers drank: 7
Bakeries visited: zero! Couldn't find any that looked decent!
Average cost for unserviced tenting: 30$/night
Favourite town: Shediac
Least Favourite Town: Dalhousie
Best road: Highway 11, not sure why I ever bothered getting off it
Worst road: Highway 134 from Kouchibougac to St. Louis-De-Kent

Good: People in New Brunswick are so friendly and generous!
Many people stopped to talk to me in grocery stores and such. Not to mention that I got a free campsite, and had people offering to pick me up groceries when they went to town; it was amazing!
Since I was mostly cycling in the more rural areas away from Moncton and Fredricton, traffic was often low. Drivers were more or less courteous about getting past me.
For the most part, hills were low and gradual, a nice change from the 15% gradients of Quebec.
Also seemed to be many good spots for wild camping, if you're into that kind of thing.

Bad: Road conditions, especially on the secondary highways that Google Maps enjoyed routing me through, were poor. Very poor.
Large cracks and potholes were common, and the surface was often a bit rougher. Definitely not fun to ride on.
While the main highways were generally nicer, there was the downside of increased traffic and transport trucks. Also, Highway 8 became somewhat scary when it began winding up long hills with only an 8 inch wide, crumbling shoulder for protection.
And no cycling infrastructure! I saw maybe 6 other people on bicycles the entire time I was in NB, and it wasn't until Shediac that I saw a pitiful bike lane and realized the government even knew that bicycles existed.
I also found that the cities I went through (Campbellton, Bathurst, Miramichi) were pretty boring and a bit run down. There was not a lot of interest to see or do in New Brunswick.

The round up: Very nice people. Cycling is hit and miss, but not horrible, despite the total lack of infrastructure.
Best described as the Saskatchewan of the Maritimes; windy, a bit boring, and not much there. At least Saskatchewan had cheap camping though. I hear Fredricton and Moncton are a bit nicer but they were too out of the way for a visit. It should also be noted that I was extremely fatigued during my short Tour de New Brunswick, and that may have coloured this review.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...