Wednesday 29 August 2018

PEI Review

Here's the review for Canada's smallest province:

Days spent in PEI: 2
Distance pedalled: 195 km
Beers drank: 5, and one cider
Bakeries visited: 1, had a decent meat pie
Best road: Highway 2 from Summerside I guess
Worst road: by far the Trans Canada from Charlottetown to Wood Islands
Average cost for unserviced camping: 32$

Good stuff:
PEI is mostly quiet farmland. It is theoretically a very nice place to ride a bicycle, and I had some nice calming moments riding past pitcuresque scenery.
The PEI Brewing Company in Charlottetown is also quite nice.

Things I did not like:
Way, way too touristy. Everything seems aimed at maximizing tourist revenue, which I found meant that towns had a mix of cheesy tourist shops or big chain stores. Very few authentic, down to earth cafes or stores. .
The best stuff was in the small, unremarkable seaside towns inbetween the cities and the tourist traps.
Beer selection at the provincial liquor stores is pathetic. Two or three local beers and then just your standard Coors, Bud, Canadian.
Then, there's the drivers. PEI has some of the worst drivers I have seen in the country. See the side story for details.
Not sure if it is normally this bad, but there were an astounding number of mosquitoes. I only spent two nights but probably suffered as many bites as I did in the entirety of Ontario.

Overall:
Didn't really like it. I went in with high hopes, and the scenery was nice, but anything that may have been fun to check out was flogged to death for tourist bucks. Couldn't find a decent coffee shop to save my life and the camping was expensive and full of mosquitoes.
Some of the seafood places looked nice, but I was trying to budget my calorie intake and spending and gave them a skip. Final word: better than Northern Ontario, but not by much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kootenay Lakes day 5: ending rough

Accidentally writing this a week late... Anyways, felt pretty alright waking up in Slocan after a long day. Legs were definitely feeling the...